Fishing is a fun activity, but it requires patience, energy, skill, and most importantly, good equipment. Without proper equipment, you can catch the big fish.
The spinning reel is one of the essential accessories required for fishing. A good spinning reel makes a fishing rod effective in catching the fish, and you will enjoy the whole process.
Currently, a lot of spinning reels are available in the market. If you are thinking to buy one for yourself, then believe me you did not need to spend more than $100.
However, as many options are available in the market, you might get confused about which fishing reel is best for you. So to help you with the selection process in this article I will provide you with a list of some of the best spinning reels under $100 that you can buy in 2021.
Things to Consider While Buying Spinning Reel Under $100
In the past, most anglers use the standard bait caster reels. But currently, almost every angler prefers to use spinning reels because they are generally cheaper, easier to use, and more versatile.
However, most of the fishers find it challenging to decide which spinning reel is the best for them. So below, I have listed some of the things that you should consider while buying a fishing reel. All of the below things will help you in creating the right buying decision.
The drag system’s quality is the first thing that you should check while buying the spinning reel. Ensure that the drag system is smooth so that larger fishes can be easily caught on smaller lines.
Moreover, if the drag is not smooth, you may lose the fish as your line breaks off. The drag system determines the power of a spinning reel. A good quality drag system can be beneficial for you while fishing in deep water or in an environment of big fish.
Spinning reels come with two types of drag systems front and rear. Usually, most of the spinning reels come with a front drag system, and a dial controls it.
Only a few spinning reels come with a rear drag system and it is controlled by knots. By turning the knob or dial of the spinning reel, you can choose the tension.
Line Capacity and Spool Size
Usually, there are three to four different sizes of spinning reels. The more be the spool size, the more be the line capacity. The spool has two different line spool capacities one is for a braided line, and the other is for the monofilament.
Braided lines have a smaller diameter due to which they provide a high level of strength. Furthermore, some spinning reels will come with a second spool that can be used for different line capacities.
Weight and Frame Material
Reel frames are usually made with aluminum, magnesium, plastic, and carbon. But the most common materials are plastic and aluminum.
Only some high-end reels use magnesium and carbon as they are low-weight and best for durability. Heavyweight reels are not bad, but they may toll on your wrists if you use them for a long time.
When you buy a spinning reel, you should try to choose the one whose reel material is either made with aluminum or carbon.
These are two materials that provide the highest possible durability and quality at a reasonable price. If you go with the plastic reels, then there are high chances that they will break easily. Furthermore, magnesium reels are quite expensive.
Recovery Rate of Line
Line recovery rate stands for the amount of line in inches that can be taken up and back with one complete turn of the handle. The more be the recovery, the easier to use the fishing rod and catch the fishes.
A good spinning reel has four to five bearings. However, if there are more than five bearings, then it doesn’t mean it is better.
Ball bearings are responsible for smooth and efficient fishing operations. Some reels present in the market have 6 to 8 bearings, but those are not effective because they replaced bushings inside the reel with bearings which is not at all required.
An anti-reverse feature will prevent the reel from unwinding if it is not intentional. Usually, the anti-reverse feature is controlled by a lever or switch that is present towards the butt of the reel.
Only having the anti-reverse feature is not enough; you need to check whether the spinning reel has a smooth anti-reverse capability or not.
Best Spinning Reel Under $100
Now you know what type of features a good spinning reel has. So it is time to know about some of the spinning reels that have all the above features. Below I have introduced you to the best spinning reels that are present in the market for under $100.
PENN Pursuit III is one of the best spinning reels, and its best highlight is its incredibly high-end drag system. It is constructed from a very lightweight graphite body due to which it is corrosion-resistant.
It consists of a powerful HT-100 carbon fiber drag that can easily handle the challenges of catching a fish. Moreover, it comes with four stainless-steel ball bearings that are responsible for smooth operation.
It comes in 6 sizes starting from 2500 up to 8000, which means you can choose any size as per your fishing needs. Furthermore, it has also an Instant Anti-Reverse system that eliminates any back play.
The handle and knob of the reel are soft and large due to which it provides a comfortable grip. PENN Pursuit ||| is the best choice for those who just started their fishing journey.
- It has an HT-100 carbon fiber front drag system.
- It is very lightweight
- The spinning reel consists of a machined and anodized spool.
- It has line capacity rings
- It provides long-lasting performance, and all operations are done smoothly.
It is a lightweight, good-looking, and high-quality fishing reel. The resistant material of this reel is carbon fiber that provides a good touch.
It is present on this list because of these reasons. Use of good quality material, easy to maintain, available range of sizes, and warranty period.
Moreover, the reel has a forward-thinking design, good manufacturing quality, and durability due to which it can easily last for years, even with consistent and regular use.
Piscifun Carbon X’s best thing is that it is very lightweight, which makes it robust when it comes to catching fish.
- It has one roller bearing plus ten stainless steel salt rated bearings.
- Reel design gives a premium feel.
- It consists of a high strength carbon fiber rotor.
- The reel can be easily re-assembled for maintenance.
- It consists of a carbon fiber frame.
- It has a lightweight structure.
- Extremely comfortable and smooth.
- It has a powerful retrieve system.
- Require constant maintenance.
Pflueger President is the perfect fishing reel for casual fishers. It is an excellent value-for-money fishing reel that comes with various fantastic features.
It has a corrosion-resistant ten-bearing system which is responsible for smooth operations. Moreover, it is made of graphite due to which this reel is ultra-lightweight.
Some of its other highlights are a double aluminum spool, aluminum bail wire, titanium coated line-roller, and multi-disk drag system.
The gear ratio of this reel is 5.0:1 due to which you can easily catch all types of fish with it. If you are searching for a comfortable and excellent performance reel then it worth considering Pflueger President.
- It has a drag disc system with enough drag power to haul big catches.
- It has nine steel ball bearings that provide incredible smoothness.
- The reel has an automatic on and off ant reverse system.
- The frame, handle, and cone of the reel are made up of aluminum.
- It is durable and reliable.
- It consists of sealed drag washers, so no additional lubing is required.
- Very easy to use, even for beginners.
- Very lightweight construction.
- Not the best option for saltwater fishing.
- The reel has a slow oscillation gearing system.
Currently, it is one of the top-rated spinning reels present in the market. Abu Garcia Revo X has a great casting distance due to which you get reasonable control while catching big fish.
The first thing you will see in this reel is its sleek, all-black finish, reminiscent of a stealth aircraft. Furthermore, it has a robust drag system, and it is designed in a way to ensure that braid does not slip out.
Abu Garcia Revo X is suitable for all kinds of fishing, including freshwater, saltwater, and deep water fishing. It has one roller bearing and six stainless steel HPCR bearings that provide excellent corrosion protection.
- It has a carbon matrix hybrid drag system that provides smooth and reliable drag performance.
- It has a rocket line management system that offers better control of all types of fishing lines.
- The reel consists of a lightweight graphic rotor.
- All gears of the reel are placed in a perfect alignment.
- It is extremely tough and durable.
- Suitable for hauling big fishes.
- It is lightweight
- Bit expensive as compared to other spinning reels present in the market.
5. Daiwa BG
It is made up of machined aluminum and has a waterproof carbon drag system. Moreover, it uses six ball bearings and has a 5.6:1 gear ratio.
The spool design on the reel provides exceptionally smooth casting and easily handles braided lines. You can use it for every type of fishing by matching the rod with reel size.
From ultralight freshwater tackle to surf and inshore saltwater fishing the reel is adaptable to large as well as small species.
Daiwa BG is great for all-around versatility and multiple fishing styles. Furthermore, the smooth retrieval and sturdy drag make it a suitable choice for anglers of all ages and skill levels.
- It has a solid screw-in handle design.
- It consists of a Carbon ATD Drag System
- Daiwa BG has a lightweight rotor that eliminates unnecessary weight and disperses the pressure equally.
- It has an anti-backlash system.
- It has a braided line steady pool.
- It is lightweight.
- It can be used for any type of fishing.
- The reel is comfortable and has a highly ergonomic design.
- The bail wire is a bit sticky and requires regular lubrication.
It is a uniquely designed spinning reel that provides anglers a stress-free fishing expedition. Okuma Avenger ABF is specially designed to provide quality performance at an affordable price.
It is excellent for catching big fish and hauling them out from the water. Moreover, it is very durable and made up of highly corrosive resistant materials due to which it provides an exceptionally smooth fishing experience.
The one thing that separates it from other reels is its bait feeding system, through which you can quickly disengage the spool and allow the line to run freely without opening the bail of the spinning reel.
Furthermore, it comes in various sizes. So you can choose the reel that is suitable for you.
- The reel consists of six stainless steel ball bearings.
- It has a quick anti reverses system.
- The reel comes with machined aluminum knobs of size range from 40 to 80.
- It consists of a tight drag seal with a hydro block system.
- Its drag is smooth and has enough power to drag all types of fishes.
- It is suitable for both freshwater and saltwater.
- The reel has a bait feeding system that can turn on and off automatically.
- Okuma Avenger ABF comes with a one year warranty.
- The drag is very silent, due to which you might not when a fish takes the bait.
Penn is one of the oldest brands present in the market, and Penn Battle II is the unique budget spinning reel. It is crafted from durable materials and packed with various impressive features.
It has a full metal body, side plate, and five quality stainless steel bearings. Moreover, it has an anti-reverse bearing that eliminates pullback instant.
Penn Battle II has HT-100 Versa-Drag carbon fiber that provides smooth dragging, and it can be easily installed in all types of rods.
Although it is entirely made up of metal, it is still very lightweight, and it is capable enough of catching the big saltwater fish.
- It has an HT-100 carbon fiber drag system, which is a very powerful drag.
- Penn Battle II has a full metal body.
- It comes with an instant anti-reverse bearing, which makes it very stable and it provides an exceptionally smooth fishing experience.
- The reel has a fluid cranking with five sealed steel ball bearings.
- Long-range spinning capability.
- Extremely durable because of the metal body
- Affordable pricing
- Comparatively heavier than other spinning reels.
8. KastKing Sharky III Fishing Reel
It is a solid aluminum fishing that has a high power of dragging. The reel has a fantastic design that is not only very comfortable but also looks good.
Furthermore, it has triple disc carbon fiber drag with 10BB+1RB shielded stainless steel bearings. It also has a braid fishing line-ready aluminum spool, fiber-reinforced body with an oversized stainless steel main shaft.
KastKing Sharky III’s gear ratio is 5.2:1, due to which it became a good choice for anglers who do fishing in big rivers and seas.
- It comes with a very comfortable aluminum handle.
- It has a high percentage of fiber-reinforced graphite and rotor.
- KastKing Shark III has High-density EVA grips.
- It has double-shielded stainless steel ball bearings.
- It has an Intrusion Shield System that protects the reel from dust and water.
- It has impressive dragging power.
- It gives a smooth performance.
- Unique protection system.
- It comes in multiple sizes
- Perfect for every type of fishing.
- Slightly heavier than other spinning reels.
Piscifun Honor XT is made from machined aluminum with a graphite rotor which due to which is very lightweight and extremely powerful.
Moreover, its drag is carbon fiber due to which provides a very smooth feel while doing fishing. It is available in four sizes from 2000-5000 that cover a monoline weight rating from 5 lbs to 20 lbs.
It has 11 ball bearings that provide consistent performance to the anglers. Furthermore, the gear ratio of the spinning reel is 6.2:1.
- It has a fiber-reinforced graphite frame and rotor.
- It has a multiple retrieve system that helps anglers to catch big fishes easily.
- Piscifun Honor XT has 3 premium carbon fiber drag washers with a sealed rubber ring.
- It has 10+1 double-shielded stainless steel ball bearings that provide incredible smoothness.
- The overall design of the reel is unique and innovative.
- It has high-quality components, including carbon fiber drag and graphite rotor.
- 4 models are available so anglers can choose one as per their needs.
- Very good for saltwater fishing.
- Sometimes the ball sticks, which can be annoying.
10. Okuma Ceymar
Okuma Ceymar is an excellent entry-level reel for beginner anglers. It has a graphite body due to which it is very lightweight.
Moreover, it has eight ball-bearing systems, which are very comfortable and provides a well-balanced fishing experience. The rotor system and line roller of the reel make the retrieval very simple and efficient.
It has an adjustable front drag system that is very simple to operate. If you are just starting with your fishing journey, then you can surely think about Okuma Ceymar.
It has all the features that can make the beginner’s journey easier. Furthermore, it is available in various sizes, due to which anglers can easily choose the one as per their requirements.
- The reel even line lay on spool due to which line came off better and the casting distance increased.
- It has an open rotor design, due to which it dries out very quickly.
- A wide range of models are available for catching fishes of various sizes.
- It has a Multi-disc oiled felt drag system that ensures significant dragging.
- It comes with an ambidextrous feature.
- It is very user-friendly. So anglers from beginner to expert level can use this reel.
- Very lightweight.
- More suitable for catching small fishes as compared to big fishes.
- Not much durable.
It is a very well-constructed spinning reel. It has a sensitive drag system and a high gear ratio that lets you enjoy your fun fishing experience.
Shimano Sedona Fi is mighty, reliable, and durable. Moreover, it consists of double-anodized machine-cut spools, which increase line capacity and while compacting the body size.
The best thing about SHIMANO Sedona FI is that it can work well in every water condition, including those that are the heavy cover and those that are clear water.
- It has a powerful drag.
- It consists of Magnumlite Rotor due to which it is super lightweight.
- The reel has cold-forged gears that increase its durability.
- It can last long for years as compared to other reels.
- Affordable price
- Smooth performance
- Great for ultralight fishing and for the angler who wants to enjoy fishing.
- If the reel gets wet, you might face retrieval issues.
12. Cadence Stout Saltwater Spinning Reel
As its name suggests, it is the reel that is specially designed for saltwater fishing. The reel body stem is made up of aluminum alloy due to which it is incredibly durable and corrosion-resistant.
Moreover, it comes with a 7+1 sealed ball bearing system that provides optimal smoothness during retrieval. Cadence Stout Saltwater fishing gear is made up of high-quality carbon fiber that provides a powerful drag.
Apart from all this, it has a stainless-steel main shaft that delivers an exceptional and reliable fishing performance.
- It has a Carbon drag system that is very powerful and delivers smooth performance.
- It has a GV-5H rotor, which is strong and stiff.
- The reel has a double anodized spool.
- It has 7+1 sealed ball bearings + 1 sealed instant anti-reverse bearing.
- Extremely durable and corrosion resistant
- Provide consistent and smooth performance.
- A reliable product for fishing.
- One of the most preferred reels for doing fishing in saltwater.
- Only suitable for saltwater fishing not much beneficial for other types of fishing.
It is one of the best spinning reels that you can find in the market for expert anglers. It comes with various marvelous features that are very beneficial for expert fishers.
The reel has a very lightweight magnesium body. Moreover, it has a sealed carbon drag system that provides strong pulling power for catching big fish.
Pflueger Supreme XT is designed with the EVA handle knob, due to which it is very comfortable to handle. Furthermore, you can tie the braid easily on the spool, which will surely not pull off.
- It has ten stainless steel ball bearings.
- It has braid ready spool.
- Pflueger Supreme XT has a sealed carbon washer, which provides enough power to catch big fishes.
- The reel makes use of innovative retrieve technology.
- It is very lightweight.
- It is very smooth to handle and comfortable to use.
- Pflueger Supreme provides excellent performance.
- Little bit expensive as compared to other spinning reels present on this list.
14. Daiwa Crossfire Front Drag Spinning Fishing Reel
It is a Front Drag Spinning Fishing Reel that provides excellent performance at an affordable price. Moreover, it has some impressive features, such as a gyro spin balanced rotor and a micro-click drag system.
It has 3+1 bearings and an ABS aluminum spool. Daiwa Crossfire reel has an outstanding body design, and its gear ratio is 5.3:1.
Furthermore, it is effortless to use and install. If you are searching for lighter fishing reels, then it can be a good choice for you.
- It has a twist buster mechanism that eliminates the line twisting and snarls.
- The front drag can be adjusted as per the angler’s needs.
- The reel spool is made up of ABS and aluminum.
- Great for saltwater fishing.
- It is easy to use.
- Good choice for beginners
- Look simple but have an elegant design.
- Light in weight.
- Three ball-bearing runs, everything nice and smooth.
- It is very sturdy.
- It only has three bearings, which are significantly less as compared to the other reels present on this list.
Penn Spinfisher V is made up of durable materials, and it can easily stand in harsh conditions for a long. Moreover, it has an excellent drag system that allows you to drag big fish even in complicated situations.
Peen Spinfisher is suitable for all kinds of fishing, especially for saltwater. Apart from all this, its other impressive feature is the anti-reverse bearing.
- It has a sealed HT-100 slammer, which is a solid drag system.
- It comes with five shielded stainless steel ball bearings.
- Penn Spinfisher V spinning reel can easily bear the sandy environment.
- It is possible to cast long distances with Penn Spinfisher.
- The reel has a very smooth drag, so you can easily drag the big fishes.
- It is a bail-less surf spinning reel.
- Poor Quality control.
- Sometimes doesn’t turn smoothly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why You Need a Spinning Reel?
A spinning reel is an essential part of the fishing rod. Basically, it is a special kind of spool that can be used everywhere. Moreover, with the spinning reel, the casting method became very simple.
Below I have pointed out some reasons why you should buy a spinning reel.
- Cost Efficient: Spinning reels are cost-efficient because they are cheaper in price and easy to install and maintain.
- User-friendly: Spinning reels are very user-friendly for most anglers. If you have a suitable spinning fishing reel, then you can follow any type of fishing style.
- Secure Handling System: The spinning reels work on a simple principle based on the bearing, which means every angler, even beginners, can handle the spinning reel safely.
- Easy to Cast a Long Distance: The bearing of the spinning reel rotate the spool quickly, due to which you can throw the line quickly.
- Easy to maintain: It is straightforward to install and remove a spinning reel. Moreover, a good spinning reel only requires proper cleaning and sometimes lubing.
- Durable: The spinning reels are very well designed and made up of extremely durable materials. So they can easily last long for years if used in a proper way.
What to Expect from a $100 Spinning Reel?
As the spinning reel cost less than $100, don’t keep your expectations too high or too low. Just be at a medium pace, and you will surely find a value for money product that can make your fishing experience smooth. Below is a deep explanation of what you can expect from a $100 spinning reel.
- Reel Weight: The reel weight increases if manufacturer start using a less costly material that is not optimized for weight. However, more weight is not a bad thing. But the extended use of the heavy fishing reel might damage your wrists. So it is best to use lightweight reels.
- Plastic Components: In order to reduce the cost, manufacturers start swapping metal parts with plastic parts. However, plastic doesn’t always mean bad, but plastic has a higher chance of wear faster than any other material.
- Spare Spools: Usually, the spinning reel that comes under $100 doesn’t have any spare spool. But these spools are braided ready, so you don’t need to worry about it much, especially if your budget is less than $100.
- Unsealed Drags and Bearings: To cut the cost, manufacturers usually don’t seal the cheaper spinning reel’s drag and bearing. But you did not need to worry about it much until and unless you put it in a place where sand and dirt can sneak their way into the components and damage the reel.
Advantage of Spinning Reel
There are various advantages of a spinning reel, and below we have listed some of the main benefits of using a spinning reel while fishing.
- Light Line: By using a spinning reel, you can easily cast the lighter bait. Moreover, it can be attributed to the fixed and open stool. A spinning reel is very efficient in throwing the bait deeper, which increases your chances to catch more fishes.
- Windy Environment: The spinning reel is very efficient in casting, even in a windy environment. With a good spinning reel, you can easily control the line and get your line farther and deeper.
- Versatility: Usually spinning reel is versatile and can be used in any fishing environment.
- Drag Adjustment: It is one of the best features of the spinning reel. If you are struggling to catch a fish, you can easily adjust the drag as per your requirements.
- Suitable for Everyone: Anglers from beginner to advanced level can easily use the spinning reel to improve their fishing experience.
Finding a good spinning reel under $100 is a challenging process. Even we cannot decide the one best spinning reel that is suitable for everyone. This is why we gave you the list of the 15 best reels so you can choose the one that is best for you.
I hope this article helps you in making your buying decision about the spinning reel. If you found this article worth reading, don’t forget to share it with other fishing enthusiasts.
Another blog: BEST SPINNING REEL FOR BASS | Buying Guide